The Virtues and Sunnah of Friday
Friday is the 5th day of the week. In Islam this day is counted as the most sacred day in the whole week. In the religion of Islam there are a lot of merits associated with this day. We also declaim many Sunnahs and practices of Prophet Muhammad SAWW in the accomplishments of Friday. The virtues of Friday are described in the Quran as well. Besides there is a surah in the Quran in the name of this day, “Surah Al-Jummah”.
In Arabic the day of Friday is called “Yawm Al-Juma’’. Yawm means day and Jummah means being gathered. It means the day when people are gathered or assembled to pray to Allah Almighty. That is why Muslims are instructed to delight the day of Friday as the day of Eid.
Friday prayer is offered in the time of “Zohar Prayer”. Allah SWT mentioned Jummah Prayer in Quran,
يَـٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓا۟ إِذَا نُودِىَ لِلصَّلَوٰةِ مِن يَوْمِ ٱلْجُمُعَةِ فَٱسْعَوْا۟ إِلَىٰ ذِكْرِ ٱللَّهِ وَذَرُوا۟ ٱلْبَيْعَ ۚ ذَٰلِكُمْ خَيْرٌۭ لَّكُمْ إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ ٩
“O you who believe, when the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday. Hurry solemnly to the remembrance of Allah, and leave off business, that is best for you if you only knew”
Huge gatherings of Muslims are arranged in the mosques especially to offer Friday prayer. After the prayer Imams of mosques address to the Muslims about how to be a pious Muslim, what are good deeds and what should we avoid to gratify Allah Almighty.
In the Quran two days of the weak are mentioned with names, Friday and Saturday. Prophet Muhammad SAWW said,
“The best day in the sight of Allah Almighty is Friday, the day of congregation”
That is why Holy Prophet Muhammad SAWW used to prepare some specific practices and sunnahs on the day of Friday. We will discuss them in detail but first we need to know the virtues of Friday. Why is Friday an important day for Muslims?
Virtues of Friday
The most sacred day of the week Friday brings countless blessings from Allah Almighty. Let us know some of the prominent features of this day. And the reason for the priority of this day on others.
- There is a time period on this day when Allah approves and answers our prayers. Whatever we ask from Him rather it is about this world or about life after death Allah accepts it and approves it.
- We all have a conceptual image of hell that is burning all the time and the fire of hell (Jahanum) is increasing day by day. But on the blessed day of Friday the hell fire is not augmented.
- After death Muslims are buried in graves and the Prophet Muhammad SAW said,
“Grave is either a garden from the gardens of heaven, or an excavation from the excavations of hell”
It means grave either can be a blessed place for the person who has been doing good deeds. Or it can punish a sinful person. But the one who dies on the day or night of Friday, Allah Almighty protects him from the punishment of the grave.
- It is the day when Hazrat Adam A.S was created. Prophet Muhammad SAWW said,
“The best day on which the sun has risen is Friday. On that day Adam was created, he was admitted to Jannah and he was expelled therefrom”
That is why the day of Friday in Islam has a lot of merits and blessings. Now let us know about the Sunnahs of Friday so we can also follow them.
Sunnahs of Friday
Prophet Muhammad SAWW said once,
“If anyone performs Wudu (ablution) properly, then comes to the Friday prayer, listens to the Khutba (address of Imam) attentively and stays silent, his (minor) sins between the Friday and the following Friday will be forgiven.
Prophet Muhammad SAWW used to celebrate the best day of the weak in a holy way. Some of his practices are discussed here.
- Performing ghusl (Sunnah way of taking shower) is an authentic Sunnah practice on Friday. So, start your day on Friday with this holy and sacred Sunnah.
- Take your best available dress and wear it on.
- Using Itr (perfume) on Friday is also a great Sunnah.
- In the preparations of Friday, applying surma (kajal) in your eyes is also a holy Sunnah.
- Listen to the Adhan and address of Imam (khutba) silently is a great Sunnah with high rewards.
- It is instructed in hadith that when you go to a mosque to perform Friday prayer, go a little bit earlier. Try to take the first row and closer to Imam.
- Reciting Surah Kahf on Friday is highly recommended in hadith. It brings peace and prosperity from one Friday to the next. Prophet Muhammad SAWW said once,
“Whoever recites Surah Al-Kahf on Jummah will have illumination from the light from one Jummah to the next”
We love all these sacred sunnahs of Friday and love to perform them. Holy Prophet Muhammad SAW taught us these practices and we can thank him by reciting maximum Durood e Ibrahimi on this day. Because it brings countless blessings of Allah Almighty. May Allah SWT bless us all with His consecrations. Ameen